So yesterday I was visiting my favorite local spot Becky’s in Marblehead, MA and picked up a gorgeous zucchini. I instantly thought “ZUCCHINI LOAF” but wanted to do some research, because vegan/egg free/low sugar/whole wheat zucchini loaf has generally failed to live up to my expectations. It’s usually soggy and gummy, or FULL of sugar and fat.
I looked at a lot of recipes, and found that I liked Oh She Glows Zucchini and Walnut and King Arthur’s Whole Wheat Zucchini Loaf. I used a little bit from each recipe, the simplicity of King Arthur’s with the Vegan-ness of Oh She Glows. I reduced the sugar of both, and baked in a cake pan not a loaf pan to cut down the chance of gumminess or sogginess in the bread.This bread is DELICIOUS. Even Pete, who lives off of air and washable crayons, loved his. And this is healthy enough to munch on for dinner, or breakfast. Ha! So, with a deep bow to both Oh She Glows and King Arthur:
Fluffy, crunchy Vegan Zucchini Loaf with Raisins & Pepitas
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup preferred ratio of raisins and pepitas/pumpkin seeds
- 2 tsp baking spices (I have a baking spices mix from Penzey’s that has nutmeg, ginger, clove, mace, and cinnamon)
- Optional: 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1-2 Tbsp cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup rice milk (or preferred milk)
- 1 flax egg: 1 Tbsp ground flax plus 1/4 cup water, let stand for 5 minutes
- 1 large or 2 medium zucchini, shredded (about 1 & 1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350, get a 9″ cake pan and grease/line it as you see fit.
- Combine dry ingredients
- Combine wet ingredients
- Mix together wet and dry, being sure to NOT overmix.
- Bake in oven for 35-45 minutes. Bread should be golden brown, and bouncy not spongey to the touch. You can do the toothpick trick if you like.
- Remove from pan immediately and let cool on a baking rack. The backing rack is key to reduce the moisture going back INTO the bread. If you cannot find yours, you might need to be crafty. See below…